Why live in North Georgia? Let's count the reasons.
North Georgia is filled with spectacular natural beauty and offers a great place to live. Whether you’re a young couple looking to expand the family & get some extra space or a retiree wanting to find their home away from home—North Georgia provides a cheaper cost of living and a quieter way of life. We love it, and so should you!
Here are some highlights of our favorite things about the area and reasons why you should consider moving there:
- Mountains: North Georgia is home to the stunning Blue Ridge Mountains, complete with picturesque trails that offer breathtaking views. Hike, drive, bike, and run some of the most beautiful county the United States has to offer.
- Waterfalls: The area is known for its numerous waterfalls, including the iconic Amicalola Falls which is the Southeast’s highest cascading waterfall. Honestly, one of the most beautiful hikes we’ve ever done. Start your climb from one of three spots—at the base, in the middle, or simply drive to the top!
- Rivers and Lakes: North Georgia is home to some of the best rivers and lakes, whether you’re shooting down the Chattahoochee River in a tub, or beaching it at Lake Lanier. The Chattooga River, Lake Allatoona, Blue Ridge Lake (and we just mentioned Amicalola Falls)—what more could you want?!
- State Parks: The area has many gorgeous state parks that offer hiking, fishing, camping and more. Some of the most popular state parks are Vogel State Park, Tallulah Gorge State Park, and Cloudland Canyon State Park. With easy access to the beautiful surrounding states, you also take a short drive up to Tennessee, North or South Carolina.
- Four Seasons Climate: With elevation comes a cooler side of life, providing an option for those looking to turn down the heat. North Georgia’s climate is mild with four distinct seasons that offer plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation year-round. For those that enjoy the crisp air, the mornings here are our favorite!
- Small Town Charm: The region boasts many charming small towns with thriving communities that are famous for preserved historic districts, arts, and cultural amenities. Visit High Country Communities for some budding small communities in Blue Ridge and Ellijay.
- Big City Access: North Georgia is also within driving distance to larger cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Chattanooga, and Nashville, providing the best of both worlds for those who enjoy the convenience of city life combined with the tranquility of living in the countryside. Check out Alpharetta or even Gainesville for some looking to still have a shorter drive into the city!
- Overall, North Georgia offers a unique blend of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, small-town charm, and access to the big city. It’s no surprise that thousands of people are moving there every year in pursuit of a vibrant yet peaceful lifestyle.
If you enjoyed this post, You’ll love our “Sip, Savor & Enjoy: North Georgia’s Top Wineries ” post here!
Grab Our Homeowner's Guide to a Custom Build
Everything you need to know and answers to questions you never even thought of to guide you in your journey to building your dream home.